Upholding the motto of “Integrity, Vision and Academic Excellence”, Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) is an internationally recognized, prestigious academic institution distinctive for its multidisciplinary, globalized nature, committed to preparing innovative professionals and future torchbearers for a wide range of international expertise to address the critical challenges of our times.
SISU has two campuses, Hongkou Campus and Songjiang Campus, covering a total area of 74.7 hectares. The two campuses are closely interrelated but distinct with their own features.
SISU Promotional Brochure
Hongkou Campus Songjiang Campus
- SISU’s has 26 language-related degree programs (covering 22 languages)
- SISU is the only Asian university among the 15 top professional conference interpreting schools in the world.
- The University currently edits and publishes 11 highly regarded and rigorously peer-reviewed academic journals.
- SISU faculty and students actively volunteer their services at international conferences, sports games and other multilingual events.
1) Compulsory courses offered in the mornings
- Comprehensive Chinese (grammar, conversation, and Chinese characters), Chinese Listening Comprehension, Chinese Reading and Chinese Conversation of various levels.
2) Optional courses offered in the afternoons include
- Free-of-charge Elective Courses taught in English
- Communication Studies, Principles of Accounting, Trade Related Business Communication, China and International Organizations, Doing Business in China, Investment in China, Chinese Culture, Inter-Cultural Communication Theory and Practice, etc.
- Courses with no requirement for Chinese knowledge
- Chinese Characters Writing, Calligraphy, Taijiquan, Chinese Elocution, and Chinese Language Partners.
- Courses taught in Chinese
- HSK Tutoring, Chinese Modern History, Modern Literature, Security Investment, International Investment, Chinese-Foreign Cultural Exchange History, E-Business;
Shanghai International Studies University offers four different housing options to visiting exchange students. Please see below for further details on these options.
1) SISU Guesthouse, an 18-storey building, built in 2000 and refurnished in 2011, is located on Hongkou Campus, just opposite to the SISU Gymnasium which is equipped with a swimming pool, a fitness center, a billiard table and indoor volleyball/basketball/badminton court. Inside there is a cafeteria, a grocery, a beauty parlor, and an ATM. Both double rooms and single rooms are available. Each room is equipped with central air-conditioning, a private bathroom, a telephone, a TV set, internet access, etc. There’s a communal use kitchen on each floor, with a washing machine, a fridge and a microwave oven.
For semester programs: Standard Double room 75 RMB /person/day; Deluxe Double room 90 RMB /person/day Single room: 125 RMB/day; Deluxe Single room: 160 RMB/day.
For summer or winter programs: Double room 80 RMB/person/day; Single room: 130 RMB/day; Deluxe Single room: 160 RMB/day.
2) SISU Hotel, an 18-storey building, built in 1996, is located at 555 Chifeng Road, Hongkou District, with a distance of 5-minute walk from the campus. The Hotel, equipped with central air-conditioning, has a cafeteria inside, a grocery and a beauty parlor. Both double rooms and single room are available. Each room has a private bathroom, a telephone, a TV set, internet access, etc.
Double room: 65 RMB/person/day; Single room: 140 RMB/day.
3) Foreign Experts’ Building, a multiple-storey building built in 1994, is located at 121 Guangling No.1 Road, Hongkou District, with a distance of ten-minute walk from the campus. Both double rooms and single rooms are available. Each room has an air-conditioner, a private bath, a telephone, a TV set and internet access.
Double room: 60 RMB /person/day; Single room: 100 RMB/day.
4) Jinjiang Inn (Hongkou Football Stadium) is an economic chain hotel subject to Jinjiang Inn Co., Ltd. It provides clean, convenient, safe single rooms and standard rooms. Air conditioner, bath room, mini refrigerator, WIFI network, self-help washing machine, microwave oven and other living facilities are furnished in rooms or in open space. Located at 718 West Jiangwan Road, it is 5-minute-walk away from the campus and enjoys very convenient public transportation.
Double room: 80 RMB /person/day; Single room: 150 RMB/day.
5) The accommodation fees are paid by semester and will not be refunded if you leave during the semester.
Students who are eligible for financial aid may apply their award package to most semester or year long study abroad programs. Students are also eligible for either need-based subsidized or unsubsidized non-need-based federal direct loans. A list of alternative student loans is available in the CSULB Office of Financial Aid (BH-123).
Additional financing information can be found at this webpage