Japan: Kyoto Program--Discover Beautiful Harmonies in Japan
Dates: June 4 - 28, 2020
$750 SJSU Special Session Tuition ($250 per unit)
$200 Administrative Fee
$3,235 Program fees, lodging, class materials and class related tours approximately*
$4,185 Total Program Cost
* Not included in program fee: lunch on weekdays during homestay, meals during hotel stays, airfare, and personal expenses during free days
Did you know that in May 2019, Japan started a new imperial era called Reiwa, “Beautiful Harmony?” In fact, Wa in Reiwa denotes not only “harmony” but also “peace,” “conforming unity” and even “Japan.” In the Kyoto Program, you will see how this idea of Wa is deeply woven into Japanese culture and society. Immerse yourself in the lives of a Japanese family, company and school to observe and feel Wa among people. Enjoy visual Wa in color, nature and architecture. Savor the palatable Wa of Japanese cuisine.
Highlights of the program are:
- Staying with a host family for two weeks in Kyoto
- Learning the Japanese through daily encounters with natives
- Visiting over five UNESCO World Heritage sites in Kyoto, Uji, Nara, Himeji and Hiroshima
- Visiting a company to learn business practices
- Visiting a school classroom to experience daily school life
- Getting first-hand experience with cultural practices, such as tea ceremonies, washoku (Japanese cuisine) cooking, zen meditation, kabuki theatre, and pop culture
- Time to explore Tokyo, the host city of the 2020 Summer Olympics, for two days
Participate in the Kyoto Program to discover your own “Beautiful Harmonies” in Japan!
See their website
for more information. Apply directly to San Jose State and also through our website.
The applications deadline for summer 2020 was January 6, 2020, but if you are still interested you should contact Vid Raadtio(firstname.lastname@example.org).
You will transfer the credits back to CSULB at the end of the program.