Barcelona SAE is proud to announce our NEW virtual internships! Gain practical international experience in your field, build your resumé, and participate in our professional and intercultural internship curriculum…all while staying close to home.
This is a great time to gain professional work experience and cultural understanding from the comfort of your home. We created the Barcelona SAE Virtual Internship program to help you do just that. Affordable, environmentally friendly, and designed to give you the professional experience you’ll need to help you build your resume, this is the program for you. We have adapted our premier internship program in Barcelona to bring you the same benefits straight to your laptop.
In addition to the work experience, you’ll also be able to complete the Barcelona SAE Cultural & Professional Development Certification and connect to a community of others in the US and in Spain.
We offer a wide range of virtual internship placements for the following majors:
- Event Planning
- Finance & Economics
- Graphic Design
- Human Resources & PR
- NGO – Social Work
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Availability to be online during Barcelona work hours for biweekly check ins with your supervisor (sometime between 9am-6pm local time in Barcelona)
- Reliable internet connection
- Personal computer
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
WHY INTERN VIRTUALLY?
A virtual internship will allow you to gain professional experience and build your resume, while working remotely. The hours are flexible, as you will be working on projects and tasks and checking in with your supervisor twice a week to report progress and findings. While you’re working remotely, you will also participate in group learning sessions, coaching and developing skill sets that will help you get even more out of your internship experience.
Virtual internships are also more affordable since there is no travel involved and better for the environment.
You will begin your virtual internship on a Monday, with Barcelona SAE staff at your side in your first meeting with your supervisor as you set out expectations and tasks for your project.
Interns are expected to spend approximately 20 hours each week working on projects for their internship placement. The work is mostly independent and the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company. You will be expected to complete a total of 160 hours and will have approximately 1 hour per week (normally twice weekly 30 minute check ins) with your supervisor.
In addition, one hour a week there will be guided online learning to receive the Barcelona SAE Cultural & Professional Development Certification. This begins before your internship with an orientation and throughout your experience offers guided reflection and coaching to help keep you on the path of understanding the cultural, professional, and logistical pieces of worklife in Barcelona.
Our internships are project-based. While each internship is unique, here are some examples of tasks that may apply:
- Research Projects – Carrying out research projects within the industry of the company, identifying key players and searching for new sales opportunities.
- Business Development – Helping the company to make decisions based on data, research and analysis. Developing methods to increase the value of current customers while attracting new ones.
- Operations – Understand the daily tasks of a company and focus on improving the processes in place to maximize efficiency.
- Administration – Creating spreadsheets and preparing presentations, arranging for meetings and managing databases.
- Social Media – Creating social media calendars, editing and posting content in different platforms, engaging the community and finding new leads and influencers
- Content Creation – Improve your communication skills while updating websites, blogging, article writing, or working on visual content through photography, photo editing, videography, graphic design, etc.
- Finance – Research on funds and investors, creation of financial plans and practices for startups.
- Competitor Analysis – Research on competitors from the industry or in other regions to determine if your company is performing at the level of the competition, staying on the cutting edge of new product development, and to determine the competition’s capabilities and positioning.
All Barcelona SAE Virtual Internships Include:
Countdown to the internship:
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to New York Times
- Barcelona SAE Cultural & Professional Development Certification (8 Hours). This includes:
- Pre Departure Session – How to prepare for your virtual professional internship
- Diversity and Inclusion at Work
- Intercultural Leadership Best Practices
- How to interact in a job interview in Spain. Differences in CVs, interview process and follow-up
- Working Across Cultures I: Cultural Dimensions of Time and Hierarchy
- Working Across Cultures II: Intercultural Communication
- Resume Building & Maximizing your LinkedIn Profile
- Developing your Interview Skills
- Group Coaching Sessions – Log in to a group hangout and chat with our Barcelona based coach
- Book a time to chat one on one with our coach as needed
- Resume Building Toolkit
- Certificate of Completion of Internship
- Certificate of Completion of Cultural & Professional Development Course
- Final evaluation provided by your supervisor
- Letter of recommendation provided by your supervisor
Professional, Cultural, & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Day Trip(s) to Discover Catalonia (Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Monthly Professional Agenda
- Working Across Cultures Workshop (Summer Interns)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- Virtual Cultural Agenda: Resources to get to know Barcelona’s local culture including virtual tours, Spanish recipes, livestream concerts or events, and tips to understand Spanish culture
- Chat group with interns and Barcelona staff
- Intercambio Language Exchanges
- 10% Discount on One Week of Intensive Online Spanish Classes
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!